Friday, May 20, 2011

Skywatch Friday Thoughts and More



This edition of Skywatch Friday isn't so much about the crystal clear blue sky as it is about the element in the foreground.  What is it you might ask.  Well, it's a monument.  A monument to what, you might ask.  It's in New Orleans.  Does that help?

It is a monument that honors the people and the city who endured the events surrounding Hurricane Katrina.  Of all the sights that I saw in New Orleans last week, this was the most interesting.  It spoke to me in a unique way.  There is a small plaque at the base of the tree.  These are the words.

"Scrap House"
by Sally Heller Artist
Like so many remnants of cultural debris left dangling from branches
brought after Katrina, Scrap House is a monument to nature's
unpredictable powers.  Like all my work the pieces are made from common
materials and recycled elements, including the bark of the tree that was 
fabricated by Travis Linde out of recycled oil drums.

There are a lot of things in life that we have little control over.  We simply have to endure them and rebuild after the debris settles.  That is why I find my faith so important.  It is my anchor, my center point.  The God of all creation supplies my every need. I don't need fame and fortune.  I need comfort, strength, perseverance, compassion, and love.  The Bible tells me that God is Love (I John 4:8).  It also tells me that the fruit of the Spirit that lives within me is, love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control (Galatians 5:22).  See, He supplies everything I need.



Have a wonderful week-end.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, and your images remind me to have the utmost respect for nature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did not see that - very cool though and love the pictures below also

    ReplyDelete