Monday, March 18, 2013

Ruby Tuesday

Crystal Bridges - Part II

 This piece is called "Big Red Lens".  It can be found at Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art in Bentonville, Arkansas.  Last Friday my wife and I went to see the Norman Rockwell exhibit.  You can scroll down to see moreAfter visiting the Rockwell exhibit we strolled through another part of the museum to re-visit some of our favorite pieces.  Big Red Lens is one of mine.  They have moved it from it's original location and I like it better now.



 No trip to Crystal Bridges is complete until I visit my favorite piece of art in the entire facility.  "The Lantern Bearers" stops me every time I visit.  

There are also some wonderful sculpture.  This piece is all glass.  No, I have no idea how you create a full size dress out of glass.

You would think that I have a fixation for lighted globes.  Again I found this piece really interesting.  So interesting, in fact, that I took a closer look.

Yes, this is a sculpture.  It is a larger than life sculpture of what the artist believes he will look like when he is older.  It is beyond life like.  The detail is amazing.  It actually borders on creepy.
Every hair has been individually place.  I don't know what medium was used to create the bust, but the results are beyond description.  This is a piece that you have to see in person to believe.

I am taking my team at the office to see the Rockwell exhibit in a couple of weeks.  I'm sure that I will also spend some time in the other galleries.  I noticed that they are setting a new display is one of the halls.  I can't wait to see what it is about.  Obviously, I'll share what I can later.  Have a great week.

8 comments:

  1. I want to go, but I live in California and that's a very long way away. Perhaps one day. Looks like a really cool place.

    Have a terrific day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just know I would LOVE to visit this place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and I have similar tastes. The Lantern Bearers really does appeal to me also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Lantern Bearers but also love the art deco figure holding a light.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great art. I must say that the artist at the wall is indeed a little creepy. But liked it that you show it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Creepy. Yeah. That's the best word for that last piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello to NWA from Russellville, AR! We love heading your way to visit, and our next trip will be to Crystal Bridges. I am excited to see it, as I have heard and seen nothing but awesomeness about it. Your photos are terrific, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The last piece is so life-like it's almost creepy. I love the Lantern Bearers and the glass sculpture. So much artistry there.

    ReplyDelete