Monday, April 2, 2012

Ruby Tuesday

Click on badge to view other participants.

The Del

As you may be able to tell, from the last couple of posts, I've been traveling on business again.  Recently, I was on the road for seven out of ten days, I was at opposite ends of the country.  My last Ruby Tuesday post of the CNN center was taken in Atlanta, GA.  I was there on a Monday-Wednesday trip.  I got home Wednesday evening and started preparing for a trip to San Diego, which brings us to this picture.  This week I was at the Hotel Del Coronado in San Diego.  It is widely known as simply "The Del".  If you want to know more about this place, click on the link.  Originally built in 1887, this place has a history of of hosting the rich and famous.  During the 20's through the 60's, this hotel was a popular retreat for cinema greats like Clark Gable and Marylin Monroe.  Perhaps the  best comedy movie of all time, "Some Like It Hot" was filmed at this location.  While the rich and famous still frequent this resort, I got the feeling that it is now much more of a tourist destination than an exclusive retreat for the wealthy and the famous.  I was attending a business event for the restaurant industry.  I did not stay in the main building, but was assigned to another building on the property.  Like most of my business events, I was way too busy to truly enjoy the hotel itself, and sight seeing was simply out of the question.  Like I tell people who ask me about my travels, "I've been all over this country, I just haven't seen much of it."  When you're in meetings and business functions from 7:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m. each day, you see very little of the place.  You just grab a couple of the brochures and hope to return to the area again some day.
I've been to San Diego a couple of other times and had a little more free time to see a few of the sights.  I would like to return to the area and stay for about a week and see some of the really cool stuff.  Happy Ruby Tuesday all.

9 comments:

  1. Naturally, business and sightseeing is mutually exclusive - work must be done, vacations sometimes not soon enough! The Del has the feeling of late Victorian era with Spanish influence added foe even more class. Sweet hotel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can so relate to all those meetings all day long. It's a wonderful I ever got any work done with all the meetings that I was required to attend. San Diego is a beautiful city. I've never been in that hotel though.

    Have a terrific day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you travel and that's a long hours for a meeting huh! ^_^

    Red Barn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderfully captured. I love the angle of this shot. Happy RT2!

    Mine's here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting photo!
    Enjoyed reading the bit of history, too!
    Have a great day!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice shot. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love San Diego. I have family in the area that I'm hoping to visit this summer.

    ReplyDelete