Thursday, May 10, 2012

Skywatch Friday Thoughts and More

Click on badge to view other participants.

Not everything that happens in the sky is a natural occurrence.  I believe that, occasionally, God reminds us of His presence though other means.  When I looked into the heavens and saw these crossing contrails, I was still reminded that He is present, He is watching, and He cares about me.

38 Years and Counting

May 11, 1974

Today my wife and I celebrate our 38th wedding anniversary.  I know that she is a precious gift that God prepared for me and I know that my life would not be the same without her.  She is absolutely the best thing that ever happened to me and I am ever thankful that she is my wife.  I probably don't tell her that often enough. 
In a day and age when half of all marriages fail, one might ask, what is the secret to a successful relationship.  Here are my thoughts from several years ago.


First of all, God loves us and everything He does for us is for our benefit. He created the institution of marriage to be enjoyed by a man and a woman and to bring each of them happiness. The Bible tells us that God loved us so much that He gave His Son to die on a cross for us so that we might, through faith, have eternal live. Christ tells the husband that he is to love his wife with the same love that Christ loves the church and gave himself for that church (Ephesians 5:25). If I love my wife with that kind of love, then everything I do, I do because I love her and I want her to be happy. I want her to be pleased with this relationship. I want my Lord to be pleased with me as a man who loves his wife and realizes that his wife is a gift from God created especially for me and for my happiness.
Secondly, marriage is a partnership. Like any relationship, it takes work to maintain that relationship in peak condition. A happy marriage doesn't "just happen". Both of us are committed to the relationship and to each other because we love one another and it is our desire that our partner be happy in this relationship. No major decision in this relationship is made without prayer and conversation. God is not the author of confusion, therefore He will not give my wife a different answer to an issue than the one that He gives me. Again, God created the institution of marriage for our benefit, not for our demise.
Finally, I married a woman far better than I deserve. I thank my Lord and Savior for her every day. My wife is the most thoughtful, caring and giving person that I know. Proverbs 31:10-12 says, "An excellent wife, who can find? For her worth is far above jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. She does him good and not evil all the days of her life." I have found that woman. Proverbs 31:25-30 further states, "Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she smiles at the future. She opens her mouth in wisdom, and teaching of kindness is on her toungue. She looks well to the ways of her houselold, and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children rise up and bless her; her husband also, and he praises her, saying: Many daughters have done nobly, but you excel them all. Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised." I married such a woman.
So, back to the original question, "What's the Secret?" The answer is, you have to give yourself to the marriage. You have to give yourself to your spouse. Whatever you have within you, you have to "Give it Away."

8 comments:

  1. What a lovely tribute to your wife and to your marriage. This post made me smile.

    Happy Anniversary to you both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Driller, you and your lovely wife have a great Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations you two! In the clouds sometimes "X" does mark the spot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an awesome sky shot! Happy Anniversary to you and your wife!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary and I wish you many more happy years. Beautiful capture of the sky. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary!!! Congratulations for those 38 years! :D

    Beautiful sky too.

    I'm visiting from SkyWatch Friday. Here's My Sky.
Regards from Barcelona.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! Happy anniversary!

    Sky Shots in Disney World, please come and see.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary!! I have always looked up to you two!! Love you both!!

    C House

    ReplyDelete