Saturday, January 18, 2014

Scavenger Hunt Sunday

Hat(s)
I have a collection of baseball caps that probably numbers over 100.  I gave away nearly that many several years ago, but the collection continues to grow.  There is a sub-collection of OU hats within the larger collection.  Currently there are twenty-two OU hats and ten of them commemorate national championships in various sports and bowl victories in football. Yes, I AM a fan...and an alumni.  BOOMER!

Antique
This school bell belonged to an amazing woman, my great aunt, Elva Ross Duvall.  She taught school in Oklahoma for over thirty years.  She finished her career at what is now Oklahoma State University.  Her career began in Oklahoma Indian Territory in 1903.  That's right!  She was teaching school in Oklahoma four years before it became a state.  This is her school bell.  There are a lot of teachers in our family and our oldest grand daughter has decided that she would like to pursue teaching when she begins college next fall.  I should probably do an article devoted to my great aunt.  She was something special.

  Something I'm Comfortable With
I am comfortable in my compact pick-up truck.  I've been driving small pick-ups since 1984.  I am just not comfortable trying to manage a full size truck.  My latest truck is a 2011 Nissan Frontier Pro 4X.  It does everything I need.  It can go in the snow.  It can haul dirt and other items for landscape projects around the house, and it can tow my bass boat to the lake.  What else could a guy ask for?  This is, by far, the best truck I have ever owned and I have NO intention of trading it off.

  Who is There?
Our oldest grand daughter is at the threshold of adulthood.  She is a senior in high school this year and graduation day will come sooner than any of us want.  She has been and continues to be a special joy to her grandmother and I.  I'm sure that there will be a special graduation post this spring.

  A Door
About three miles from our home sits the Mildred B. Cooper Chapel in Bella Vista Arkansas.  The doors are not the only beautiful thing about this structure. The entire building is an architectural masterpiece. It was designed by E. Fay Jones, an Arkansas native and student of Frank Lloyd Wright.  Jones designed several of these chapels, two in Arkansas and one in Mississippi.  This one uses steel to form the gothic arches.  His most famous chapel, Thorncrown, is about 40 miles from this location, in Eureka Springs.  If  you're in the area, these are must see facilities.  They are open to the public and available for weddings.

12 comments:

  1. Love all your photographs as always. Your granddaughter is beautiful and yes, she's almost an adult. You've all done well. I'll await the special post.

    I love the church. I think you've featured this before, but I've been visiting you for many years.

    Have a blessed weekend. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures....that school bell is a treasure, your granddaughter is gorgeous and the hat collection is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Driller. I love your school bell and what it means to you. My first grade teacher started teaching before Arizona Statehood. I had her in her 53rd year of a 57 year teaching career. Mainly I remember getting slapped out of my seat several times for day dreaming. (It didn't work, I still day dream.)
    Your grand daughter is beautiful both in looks and character.
    I miss my compact pickup. There might be another one in my future.
    Your chapel is wonderful. When we visited Eureka Springs, Thorncrown was closed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. beautiful granddaughter. love the door.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous photos esp your GD and the church!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Doors....Awesome! Bell...when I started teaching, the teacher before me left a bell like yours. The handle is wobbling, couldn't be tightened. When I started teaching at the school, teachers used these bells to call in the students from the play ground. I was always used to the whistle. Needless to say, I carried the bell with me when I moved, because teachers did start using whistles. I still cherish that bell here at home since I retired after 30 yrs of teacher 3 yrs ago.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shucks, I think my comment got lost! Great photos all of them, (that's a lot of hats) but being a fan of FLW I really adore that last photo, and I'd even venture all these miles to include that in a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow love that shot for the door!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a beautiful young lady...they do grow quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful portrait of a beautiful young woman.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your granddaughter is a beautiful young woman. How exciting that she wants to become a teacher! The chapel is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete