Saturday, May 28, 2011

Memorial Day 2011

Memorial Day was originally designated to honor those who gave their lives in service to their country.  Last Thursday my wife and I traveled to Ada, Oklahoma to take care of some family business.  It also gave me the opportunity to honor past generations of the family.  I do hope you take time to honor your past as you enjoy your time with family and friends this holiday.

This is the headstone of my great grandmother.  She is buried just north of Ada.  Her husband served in the Union Army during the Civil War and is buried in Repton, KY.  I actually plan on visiting that site one day.

This is the marker for my grandparents.  It is located in Madill, OK, which is about 40 miles south of Ada, and only about 30 miles from the Texas border.  My grandfather served in the Army during WWI.

This is the headstone of my parents.  It is located in Henryetta, OK, which is where I was born.  Dad served in the Navy during WWII.

I represent the fourth generation of my family that have served our country.  I was in the Army and served in Viet Nam in 1967-68.  While all of us would probably tell you that it was an honor and a privilege to serve our country during a time of conflict, we would also tell you we wish that it hadn't been necessary.  Peace to you and yours this holiday.

4 comments:

  1. Nice post. My father was killed in Vietnam War. I was wondering if you could follow my blog??

    Thanks
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post my friend. Great pics as always. Gonna kind of be said not to have Neb and OU in the same conference any more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also wish such service had not been necessary. Since it was, and since it still is, I honor all who made the ultimate sacrifice. I wish for those who served the peace that they earned. And I offer those who continue to serve and who will serve in the future my humble thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tribute to your loved ones Driller. My mother, her 12 brothers and sisters, her parents, and some of my cousins are buried near each other at a small cemetery in Dubois, Idaho. It feels like a family reunion when I visit.

    ReplyDelete