Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Inspiration Thursday


Inspiration can come from a multitude of sources.  The Bible is probably the greatest source of inspiration for the believer.  A great sermon can inspire us.  Taking note of  how God is working in our lives is often very inspiring.  One source of inspiration for me is music.  Gospel music to be exact.  I like all kinds of music, but I love the message in gospel music.  Last week, my wife and I headed to Dallas, TX for a two day gospel music event.  There was a concert each day, and they lasted over four hours each.  I'm already thinking about making the trip again next year.


The event was held at Prestonwood Baptist Church in Plano, TX., a north suburb of Dallas.  The sanctuary seats 7,000.  That's right, a 7,000 seat worship center.  The choir was approximately 200 voices strong.  I know that some of the artists really enjoyed having 200 back-up singers.   For me, sharing a worship experience with nearly 7,000 other gospel music lovers is inspiring indeed. Here are a couple of the artists that performed.



The Nelons are a family group.  It is often said that there is no better harmony than the voices of a family.




Angela Primm is just a walking inspiration.  As the old saying goes, "If this don't light your fire, your wood is wet."


The Booth Brothers is one of our favorite groups and their message is always inspiring.

These are just a few of the groups that performed during the 2-day event.  So why do I like Gospel music and why is it important to me.  Well, it is inspiring.  The hymns of the church are often the first exposure that children have to God's word and many Bible verses are incorporated into the Hymns.  Setting the scripture to music makes it easier for people to memorize and we are instructed to hide God's word in our hearts so that we can call on His word when needed.  Music is soothing.  In times of trouble or sorrow, the music of God's people is comforting to the soul and spirit.  When we think on the home that is waiting for us in heaven, the troubles of this earth seem a little less overwhelming.  Whether it is the Bible, a sermon, or great gospel music, there is no more important message than, "Jesus Saves"!

3 comments:

  1. I know you both enjoyed this event. Wow, 7,000 people can be seated. Wow.

    I loved all the videos and I think the Booth Brothers are my favorite too.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise and Worship music just about brings me to my knees...and HAS, several times. :)
    My worship of God is the strongest thru music. As you say, there's many inspirations....

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like lots of fun. I love gospel music live. I had a chance to see a Gaither Homecoming Concert in my city a few years ago. It was great and I left with lots of CDs of some of my favs.

    ReplyDelete