Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Wordless Wednesday - Not Exactly

Recently we spent a couple of days in Lee's Summit, MO visiting my wife's brother and his wife.  Lee's Summit is a south east suburb of Kansas City.  One morning we took a drive downtown and I took the opportunity to capture a few images of the old buildings that have been re-purposed into a thriving retail area.


This cast concrete sign was set over the side entry to one building.  I know that this is not the original location for this sign, but I am glad that someone saw fit to save it and give it a new home.  I love this type of signage.
My favorite find of the morning was this old Methodist Episcopal Church.  I love the brick details and the cast stone decoration.  You just don't see this done anymore.  Following are a few details.

If you ever see the term Paladin window, this is basically what they are referring to.  Almost any grouping of three arched windows, especially with columns makes up a Paladin window.  Just look at those brick details..


I think that every entry into a church should remind us that it is a place of prayer and worship.  I love the headers over these doors.

The Chamber of Commerce now occupies the old Missouri Pacific Railroad Depot.  The caboose is a reminder of the original purpose of this structure.  Too many of these buildings were demolished when the railroads discontinued passenger service.

Shifting from cast stone, here is an example of terra cotta, which tells me the building was probably built in the mid twenties or early thirties.  Again, you just don't see this kind of detail in newer buildings.  We are seeing more decoration/details in some newer structures, but nothing to match this level of craftsmanship.  Well, that's all I have from Lee's Summit, MO.  Have a blessed day.


3 comments:

  1. I love it when you post architecture. You find some interesting buildings along the way.

    Have a fabulous not so wordless Wednesday. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice architecture here. Very nice captures, and I do appreciate you linking up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/07/variations.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful buildings and I learned a new term "Paladin Window" that I can bandy about. The old signage in concrete always seemed to make a statement about how long the owners of the business expected to stay around.
    I love terra cotta. As you know many buildings in downtown Tulsa have lots of terra cotta decorations.

    ReplyDelete