Friday, May 3, 2013

Semi-soft Landing


Thursday afternoon I wandered over to the local high school where the state championship track meet was being held.  The photo for skywatch Friday (below) was taken on Tuesday evening.  It was 75 degrees and a breeze blowing from the southwest.  The photo above was taken Thursday afternoon.  The temperature had dropped to 43 degrees, there was a 20 mph wind out of the northwest, it was drizzling rain, and snow would fall later that night.  Still, these young athletes braved the elements to compete for their school and the honor of being one of the top athletes in the state.  I didn't stay long.  I am a fair weather fan these days, and there was NO fair weather to be found.  I did get a few photos of the boys long jump (shown here) and the girls triple jump (below).  I competed in the long jump in high school, but I will never understand the mechanics of the triple jump.

 The local high school won the girls team championship while the boys landed in second place.  Congratulations.

3 comments:

  1. Nice pics, you are pretty good with sports photography Driller. I'm a fair weather person myself. Used to be I'd run outside in the rain, snow, ice, I didn't care. Now I do care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these meets and did when I was in high school. I couldn't do much as we had cows to milk, but I was very athletic.

    Have a terrific day. :)

    ReplyDelete