Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Wordless Wednesday on Tuesday

Recently, I took a drive about 30 minutes north of our home to Neosho, MO to do a little street photography. I had the option to take the four-lane highway or take the county roads that my wife and I used to drive before the new highway was completed. I chose the county roads. Here's a little of what I found.

These old county roads cross many a creek or stream and there are a lot of these old bridges. One can only wonder how long they have been in place and how many a traveler they have seen. Well...

 the Missouri Highway Department used to place these plaques on the bridges and this one was built in 1931.  Not to far down this road I found a structure whose days are numbered.
I'm pretty sure this barn is no longer in use and it's only a matter of time before it gives way to the elements and collapses. There are several examples of  out buildings that have already laid down to their final resting place along this road. Well, on to Neosho. I have only been to Neosho a couple of times and this is my first visit to really drive around the downtown area and explore photographic opportunities. I was not disappointed.

Neosho is the county seat and is built on a square, with the county courthouse in the middle of that square. Anyway, there are a multitude of architectural styles and some wonderfully rehabbed and restored structures in the downtown area.

The Newton County Courthouse is done in a "Machine" Art Deco style. All of the decoration is very clean and precise. All of these buildings provided an opportunity to photograph some great details and then convert them to black & white images. Here are a few examples.




So, if you're tired of photographing stuff in your town, get out, drive to another location and see what your neighboring communities have to offer, in terms of photo opportunities. You might be surprised. I know I was.  Have a blessed week.

8 comments:

  1. Sure looks like that barn is gonna collapse any second.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun trip. I love the old stuff from way back when. They had such warm character.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's nice to take the time to take the secondary roads. You never know what delights you will find. Happy travels and thank you for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice photos so quaint some of them too :-)

    Have a tanfastic week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had a great little photo drive. I love art deco in all of its various forms.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great B&W work. I really like the definition yet graininess of the masonry showing through

    ReplyDelete
  7. You made an excellent choice in traveling the country roads, as you captured some wonderful images. The black and white work is perfect in these shots. Great post.
    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/04/the-many-faces-of-louie.html

    ReplyDelete