Thursday, February 17, 2011

Skywatch Friday Thoughts and More





Click on badge to view other participants


The only problem with these sunsets is that I rarely have time to truly enjoy them.  Well, I rarely TAKE the time to truly enjoy them.  I take the time to pull of the road, compose and take a few photos, then continue on my way home.  While I spend a little more time than most people spend, viewing the end of the day, I still have other things to do, places to go and people to see.  So my time spent capturing these images is limited.  Most of the time, the real fun starts when I get home.  I can download the files, pull them into PhotoShop Elements and then just play with the images to my heart's content.
This morning I was reading a fellow bloggers entry, regarding the decision to simplify their life.  The decision was made to eliminate Twitter, Facebook, and several other social media from their daily routine.  In fact, these things have apparently been totally eliminated from their life.  Congratulations.  I have never signed up for Twitter or FaceBook and this is the only blog that I manage.  There are times when I find this to be more than I want to handle.  The other blogger made a very valid point.  We often spend a great deal of time socializing with people we have never seen or met...and probably never will.  In the mean time, we neglect the opportunity to interact with friends and family that are right in front of us. That is sad, to say the least.  It is also very true.  Countless evenings I have found myself in front of this monitor, interacting with people I don't know, while my wife is watching television in the other room.  The problem is, I enjoy the computer.  I like surfing the net.  I like working in PhotoShop Elements, and I like reading the entries of other bloggers.  I just have to limit the time that I spend doing so.  After reading the entry this morning, I went back and read the very first entry I ever posted on my first blog.  Here it is.

April 15, 2007

Welcome to the first edition of BrainFreeze. I have no idea where I am going with this blog or where it will lead me. I've read a few blogs on various subjects, so I thought I might as well take the plunge and claim my place in cyber-space, capture my 15 minutes of fame, or just provide a place to vent my frustrations about the world around me and dote on the grandkids. I guess it's also a place to chronicle the events in my life that I wish to recall and share with God only knows who will be reading this. That should cause me to think twice about which events I share and just how much information I am willing to share with the entire universe. So much for the introduction, I'll be back when I have something I feel compelled to write about. Have a great day.
Now, nearly four years later, I find myself re-evaluating my purpose in blogging.  I know that, at some point, the blog morphed from mostly the written word into a primarily photo blog.  People like pictures and I like taking and sharing them.  The question now is, "Have I over stayed my welcome?" and "Do I need to move on?"  I don't know.  Spring is just around the corner.  That means baseball and soccer photo sessions, but you've seen that before.  I don't know.  I guess I'll continue to ponder the future of Driller's Place.  Until then, you can expect that I will continue to post when I have something that I feel compelled to share with you...like this week's inspirational song.  I have had last week's selection in my head all week long.  So, I give you Casting Crowns again.  This time, singing "The Voice of Truth."  Enjoy.

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful Sky Watch Friday. I also enjoyed your comentary. Over the years on my blog I have had the opportunity to meet a few blog friends in person. It was a realy treat. In fact tonight at 10 PM we're picking up a young lady at Los Angeles Intern' Airport ~ flying in from NY, and will stay a couple of nights with us, and then on to her trip overseas to visit an orphan she's been supporting.

    I think I have to always remember, balance is so necessary in this life... and I sure want to have time for those family and friends that are right here by me.

    Didn't mean to ramble....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure would miss you if you left. Terribly. You are one of my favorite places.

    Perhaps you need to pull over and watch the sunset and leave the camera where it is. We have to stop and smell the roses.

    I have a facebook and twitter account, but I rarely go to either. Sucks the very life out of you for sure. Just don't have that kind of time and I'm retired.

    I also love to hear your gospel song each week too. I was raised on gospel music.

    Have a terrific day. Big hug from stormy California. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sunset story is so similar to my sunrise one. Each morning on my way to work I stop multiple times along the 2 lane highway on my way to the interstate. I know the fold who drive up and down the road think the old lady has lost her mind. It is almost an obsession with me. For every good shot I get I have to cull many more. This shot is gorgeous...so glad you took the time to stop. My husband and I are taking a Photoshop Elements course together and we are having the best time. We have had four classes up to now and still have 6 more. It is great fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice photo.

    I also spend much time socializing online with people I don't know. At least I've met you once. This part of the internet is the "nice" part. I have not had one rude comment in almost 1000 posts, although I have deserved a few.
    I also wonder where I'm going with the blog. I can't see me one day just shutting down and saying goodbye to everybody.
    My wife watches TV. After 49 years of dedicated tv watching I am certain that I can tell where a tv episode is going after 3 minutes (and I don't think that it is an unusual gift, I think most of us can.) I'd rather surf the net.

    ReplyDelete
  5. marvelous...great shot...thanks for sharing!

    Hope you can take a peek at my SkyWatch Friday entry as well. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm your words makes me think too. I am so engrossed with Facebook specially the game and I only played one and it looks like I am already addicted to it. I sleep late which hubby sometimes complained it already and I knew it's not good. I have twitter and thank goodness I don't know how it works. Anyhow, I love blogging specially the meme's shared by the people around, so I hold on to blogging.
    I like your sky this week. I love the colors!

    Sky Watch

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful colors in the sky. Beautiful shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. BY noticing them and sharing them you are light years ahead of most my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can relate to making the time to take the picture! But thanks for doing it anyhow. Really nice to see these now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First your sunset photo is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing! I do agree with your post and I am guilty of spending too much time on my blog and fooling around with my photos. But, it is a hobby for me and something I really enjoy. Maybe, I could cut down the time and spend less time on the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My philosophy has always been that I post what interests me when it interests me. I take breaks when I feel I want them, and then return when I have something to say again.

    I think everything in life must come with balance.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Willy is trying to stop and smell the roses and watch the sunsets. Willy is tired of just the thorns from the roses.

    10-4 Willy

    ReplyDelete