Friday, June 12, 2015

Crash and Burn

The blog has been semi-dark for the past week.  Well, I had a major crash and burn.  My computer hard drive seemed to be malfunctioning and it's only four months old.  After a couple of phone calls and transfers, I got the correct people at HP support.  Their thought was that there might be something wrong with the operating system (Windows 8.1).  They probably thought that there was also something wrong with the operator of the system (me), and they might not be far off of the mark.  At any rate, it required that I wipe the hard drive clean and reinstall the operating system.  I have never done that before and my confidence level was not very high.  Still, the tech support walked me through the process.  It took nearly an hour but it seems to have fixed the problem.  On the down side, I now have to re-install all of my programs, put my important document files back where they belong, and try to figure out how to reset my preferences.  Needless to say, it has been a journey.  Hopefully, I'll have it all back to almost normal by next week.  Technology is a wonderful thing...until it decides to not be a wonderful thing, then...it's your worst nightmare.

3 comments:

  1. I can so relate. I have a computer guy and I just bring the computer in and he does the fix. Lots less stress for us. He's really good and we don't buy anything from anyone but him. It has served us well.

    Have a fabulous day my friend. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel your pain. I've only done a couple clean installs but they are tedious to go through and take time to reinstall the software, especially since so much software is from downloads and you don't have the disks. I have been dealing with ultra slow ISP speeds for a week now and I think my provider finally got their act together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully, I have the disks of the important programs and I have back-ups of photos and documents. It's some of the settings that have disappeared that is really annoying, but I'll adjust to a new way of doing things. I had Windows 8. looking like Windows 7 and I was comfortable with that. Now, I'll just have to get used to Windows 8 just in time for Windows 10 to hit the streets. And life goes on.

      Delete