Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Wordless(?) Wednesday


I grew up in Tulsa, Oklahoma, but we haven't lived there in over 30 years.  However, we do go back a couple of times a year for various functions.  As a retired architect, Tulsa has a rich history of art deco buildings which I did not appreciate growing up.  My favorite building in Tulsa is the Tulsa Union Depot which I posted last week.  My second favorite building in town is the Fairgrounds Pavilion.
Designed by Leland I. Shumway and built in 1932, the Fairgrounds Pavilion serves as the gateway to the Tulsa State Fair.  It has hosted concerts, horse shows, tractor pulls, the ice capades and pro wrestling.  Several years ago the building was restored to it's original glory and it is a sight to behold.


 When someone says, "They don't build them like they used to", this is exactly what they mean.  It is unlikely that we will ever see terra cotta details like this again.


 These ram's heads are my favorite detail on the building.  There are several other works on the building, but these just fascinate me.

I love the agricultural theme incorporated into the art deco style.  It is a master piece in my humble opinion.  If you're ever in Tulsa, drive out to the fairgrounds which is now considered the Mid-town area of Tulsa and walk around this building.  You won't be disappointed.



Fun With Filters
Since the Ram's head detail is one of my favorite features on this building, lets mess with it a little bit.  First, I converted it to black and white.  It gives a real 1930's feel to the image and allows you to concentrate on the detail of the terra cotta without the distraction of color.  There is a drama in black and white images that just can't be duplicated in color.


 Next, I took the black and white image and applied a graphic pen filter.  I really like this filter.  This time I used vertical pen strokes instead of diagonal.  I think the vertical strokes render the brick and terra cotta details better.


Finally, I went back to the color image and applied two filters.  the first filter was a grain texture.  I saved the image with the grain texture then applied the horizontal distortion, which are the streaks that you see running through the image.  I think this just gives the image a whole new look.  It may not be a look that appeals to everyone, but I find it interesting.

  Well, that's it for this session of Fun With Filters.  See you next time.


6 comments:

  1. What a unique building indeed. I love your edits too.

    Have a fabulous Wordy Wednesday. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like many of the effects you've achieved - I bet you had fun doing it, too!
    Thanks for sharing at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/06/the-other-worldly-insect-world.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is one of my favorite buildings also. I've never been in it though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that tile work. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete