Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Wordless Wednesday - Fun With Filters

This is the base image and it is my favorite building in all of Tulsa, Oklahoma.  It is the Tulsa Union Depot.  It was built in 1931 and was the train depot for the Frisco, Santa Fe, and Katy passenger trains.  My dad worked for the Frisco from 1938 until his retirement in 1983.  He never worked for another employer.  He was second generation railroad.  I decided t have a little fun with this image through the use of the filters in PhotoShop Elements 13.  First I converted the image to black & white.

First, I converted it to a pen and ink sketch.  I set the strokes to a diagonal from upper right to lower left.  You can choose horizontal or vertical strokes as well.  I like this filter a lot.

Next, I distorted the image a little and then applied kind of a water color filter.  It has a really loose feeling to it at this point.

Finally, I took the original image, converted it to black & white then place it on a canvas filter.  This is another filter that I am becoming very fond of. You can vary the texture of the canvas to make it as smooth or as rough as you like.
I have been using PhotoShop Elements ever since version 3 and I am just now learning some of the fun tools that are in the program.  Why did I wait so long?  This program is more than I will ever need for editing images.  If you are new to photography and you have been advised to purchase Lightroom or PhotoShop, I would tell you that you might consider Lightroom, but you are years away from needing full blown PhotoShop.  Personally, I'd get PhotoShop Elements as long as they continue to produce it.  Have a great day.

6 comments:

  1. You're having fun editing your photographs. I don't think you had all this time when you were working. Now you do. Enjoy.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting edits - isn't Photoshop fun?
    Thanks for sharing at vhttp://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/06/island-welcome-labadee-haiti.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful building. I see something new on it every time I go by it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful building and I like the filter effects too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty building and great edits! Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the last one! Lovely filters to try!

    ReplyDelete